So I found some really great advice on the Pie Academy website about how to keep dough from cracking when you roll it out. This is something I've struggled with for a while. And I've just gotten used to patching my dough when I get it into the pie plate.
Here is their advice:
1) Make sure you fully incorporate your fat with your flour. Don't leave large chunks of fat.
2) Don't be afraid to add more water! Don't be afraid... A moister dough with roll out easier.
3) Kneed your dough once. Then place on plastic wrap and form into a disc. Pinch together any cracked edges.
4) Then flour dough and put in a gallon sized freezer bag and roll into an 8" circle. Then seal bag and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
5) When you are ready to roll your dough, take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.